Which companies offer free gifts or deals if they know it's your birthday?

Just received a postcard from Sephora informing me that they have a free birthday gift waiting for me in the store. Which other companies offer free gifts or deals if they know it's your birthday?
posted by coupdefoudre to Grab Bag (34 answers total) 96 users marked this as a favorite

Starbucks - free drink
Coldstone Creamery - buy one get one free coupon
posted by saturngirl at 12:35 PM on August 8, 2012 [1 favorite]

Bliss Spas, Equinox gym, my dermatologist.
posted by elizardbits at 12:37 PM on August 8, 2012

List of Birthday Freebies
Other coupon-minded and frugal-living minded websites also collate these types of lists.
posted by watch out for turtles at 12:38 PM on August 8, 2012 [1 favorite]

Many restaurants do it; it's definitely becoming a Thing lately. Fire & Ice in the Boston area does this, gives you a free dinner.
posted by Melismata at 12:38 PM on August 8, 2012

I like moes ...

But they have a larger list here: yay free
posted by tilde at 12:39 PM on August 8, 2012

You have to register, but Red Robin will give you a free hamburger.
posted by jquinby at 12:39 PM on August 8, 2012

Red Robin gives you a coupon for a free burger on or around your birthday if you sign up with your email address on their website. (Of course, you also get emails from them throughout the year!)
posted by Hanuman1960 at 12:39 PM on August 8, 2012

I see you're in New York! If you go to the Sephora in Soho, go over to Benefit on West Broadway and get your brows done for free! The women there are super friendly and don't push the sales.
posted by thirdletter at 12:40 PM on August 8, 2012

The Body Shop.
posted by whowearsthepants at 12:41 PM on August 8, 2012 [1 favorite]

Each year I receive a lovely birthday card (in the mail, which is still a fun thing to me) and 20% off coupon for being a member of Hallmark's Gold Crown Reward program.
posted by NoraCharles at 1:04 PM on August 8, 2012

Yoga studios are big on this.
posted by no regrets, coyote at 1:04 PM on August 8, 2012

DSW sends a $5 off any purchase birthday coupon.

Also, most retailers* that send birthday coupons do not verify your birthday so give them dates that correspond to when it's most advantageous for you to get a discount (for example, DSW thinks my birthday is in August, which is when I tend to buy back-to-school shoes for my son). I spread the coupons out all year round doing this, with a bunch of them arriving in October/November in time for xmas shopping.

*The exception is places that offer birthday discount on the spot/without signing up in advance, usually restaurants, because they check ID to verify that today really is your birthday.
posted by jamaro at 1:04 PM on August 8, 2012 [6 favorites]

Aveda, though I think you have to have registered in advance. That said, if you go to the Union Square Sephora in New York, pop over to the 5th Avenue Aveda store and let them know it's your birthday.

If you take thirdletter's advice, try the Aveda Institute on Spring Street.

I forget what the birthday freebie is -- product of some kind, maybe shampoo?
posted by Sara C. at 1:05 PM on August 8, 2012

Benihana gives you a $30 gift certificate, though you have to provide ID with your birthday on it, and there's some limitations on when and how you can use it.
posted by yasaman at 1:06 PM on August 8, 2012

This was asked last year and there were some good answers.
posted by Flamingo at 1:06 PM on August 8, 2012

Philosophy, Panera Bread, and Baskin Robbins.
posted by Room 641-A at 1:06 PM on August 8, 2012

You can get a free coffee drink from Dunkin Donuts.
posted by saffry at 1:07 PM on August 8, 2012

Many restaurants will give you a free dessert if you're there for your birthday. I've had several places do this to me sneakily - they sussed out that it was my birthday without a request or checking my ID, just by observing the table.
posted by WasabiFlux at 1:12 PM on August 8, 2012

Devon Seafood in Philly mails me a $25 gift certificate for my birthday.
posted by mlle valentine at 1:20 PM on August 8, 2012

The Veggie Grill will give you a free entree on your birthday. You have to register with them.
posted by yoink at 1:21 PM on August 8, 2012

Baskin Robbins gives you a free ice cream. Maybe only if you're a kid, though?
posted by snorkmaiden at 1:26 PM on August 8, 2012

If you live in an area where it's popular, most of the [local] merchants who participate in Womply offer Birthday specials.
posted by schmod at 1:27 PM on August 8, 2012

A guy I work with told me he shamelessly requested a free burrito at Chipotle for his birthday and he got it. Apparently he has done this for several years now.
posted by mullacc at 1:29 PM on August 8, 2012

You have to sign up with the email newsletter before the start of the month of your birthday and they email you the certificate. You have to print the email and mine are always only usable Monday-Thursdays. However, they will let one party use as many as they want (or at least, they let us use three or four at once every year).
posted by soelo at 1:52 PM on August 8, 2012

Anthropologie gives you a 20% discount if you sign up online. It's nice and you can use it on sale stuff, too.
posted by Ideefixe at 2:07 PM on August 8, 2012 [1 favorite]

I'm totally got my free ice cream for my 28th birthday this year from Baskin Robins.
posted by littlesq at 2:20 PM on August 8, 2012

Maybe only if you're a kid, though?

This is a minor point in an episode of Parks & Recreation, so no, at least in theory it's open to adults. (Leslie discovers Ron's birthday because she sees him go in for his free cone.)
posted by Sara C. at 2:44 PM on August 8, 2012

Caribou Coffee sends an email for a free drink on your "'Bou Day."
posted by stopgap at 3:18 PM on August 8, 2012

Not sure if it's still happening but Denny's "restaurant" used to give you a totally free meal on your birthday.
posted by dancestoblue at 4:22 PM on August 8, 2012

We happened to be driving through Northampton, MA, on Ms. Xalf's birthday this year, so she got a free medium-size sundae at Herrell's.
posted by Xalf at 5:49 PM on August 8, 2012 [1 favorite]

White House Black Market gives you $10 off in your birthday month.
posted by bendy at 6:43 PM on August 8, 2012

Also, I once got a free meal at Wendy's on my birthday, but my name is Wendy.

Todai (sushi buffet) gives you a free meal on your birthday if there are others in your party paying for their meals. At least in the CA Bay Area; don't know if it's true for all Todai restaurants.
posted by mbidi at 6:53 AM on August 9, 2012

Petsmart will send you an email coupon for a free pet toy (anything $3 or less basically) on each of your pets birthdays if you've signed up with them.
posted by cgg at 11:58 PM on August 9, 2012

« Older You know those cool wingtip 19...   |  Help me identify an Afro-Carib... Newer »