Now they got the sun, an' they got the palm trees
April 14, 2012 5:31 PM Subscribe
Two mid-20s gals want choose their ideal, last-minute, warm, not-too-pricey, non-resort vacation. Help us, please!
posted by Paper rabies to Travel & Transportation (7 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite
My friend and I need a vacation, asap (as in, around a month from now). She wants a beachy-relaxy one; I'd like that as well, but with the option of exploring on the side (checking out cities, hiking/nature, etc.). A few points:
- We're both mid-20s Canadian gals.
- We're looking at a May departure, around a week, and we'd be leaving from Toronto
- Not 100% sure on her budget, but I'd like to keep it <$2000
- We're both normally more "adventurous" and independent travellers I guess (i.e. more prone to backpacking than organized tours) but since we have limited time and have been stressed lately (err, for the last couple of months), would like something a bit more low-key. I would like to be able to do some tours or wandering, she might join or just chill.
- We weren't so hot on the idea of a resort (particularly not all-inclusive) given our former travelling patterns, but not totally opposed. The idea just makes us feel a bit weird. But then again, we've never done it before.
- Beaches = YES. We wouldn't need to be directly on the beach, as long as one is close.
- We're both capable, but not fluent, in Spanish
- She can drive, I cannot. Preferable if we could take public transit or not deal with too much transportation
- Both vegetarian
Right now, I'm thinking Cuba, Mexico or Puerto Rico, but finding it tough to narrow down on specific areas that would be ideal for us. We were originally considering Greece as well, but we both feel that going to Europe we might feel "compelled" to make our vacation super exciting (FOMO, I suppose), but we don't want to feel more tired coming back from vacation than before we left! If anyone has any ideas, anecdotes, etc. I would love to hear them! Thanks a lot!