What PCs to buy?
March 31, 2012 7:41 AM Subscribe
What PCs should we buy?
posted by k8t to computers & internet (12 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
We need to get 2 new laptops and 2 new desktops. 1 laptop and 1 desktop can wait for ~6 months.
- We both do intense data analysis (MPlus, R, SPSS, Excel, Access) for many hours of the day
- We both do a lot of multitasking
- Windows preferred, unless you can convince me that it would be worth it to shell out for all the extra software
- We'll need 2 monitors, maybe 3
- Building our own isn't in the cards, although I'm willing to buy RAM or monitors separately
~ 6 year old Dell desktop, Win7 32 bit, 4 GB RAM, 2.66 GhZ, 24" monitor
~ 3 year old 13" HP laptop, Win8 64 bit, 4 GB RAM (upgrading to 8 now), 2.27 GhZ processor
I like having 2 computers running at once. I will need 1 work desktop and 1 home desktop and I'm okay with toting the laptop between the 2, or using my current laptop in 1 location and the new laptop in another location. I like 13" and 15" is too big for me. I don't want to get a Mac and have to buy new software for it.
- .5 year old MacBook Air
- just got rid of ~3 Dell laptop
- uses work computer now, but needs something for fulltime at home work
He thinks that he just needs a laptop. In the past he's either gone for a huge monster or a tiny but powerful laptop. I think that with the MBA he could probably tolerate a medium sized laptop.
We have ~3 year old media PC, 3 GB RAM, 2.8GhZ processor that could be repurposed as long as the replacement had BluRay, a good graphics card, and a good fan. I suspects that leaving the media PC as is might be the best thing to do.
SO... at least 1 laptop and maybe 1 desktop need to be purchased soon. It might be worth waiting until October when PCs are shipping with Win8 rather than having to do an upgrade (even if it is free.)
And I LOVE DEALS!
What's good out there right now? What deal sites should I watch? What brands are the most reliable right now?
What would you do with all of this?