Minecraft project ideas with a very young child
March 9, 2012 2:54 PM Subscribe
Please suggest some Minecraft projects I could do with my 5 year old daughter.
posted by snarfois to Computers & Internet (13 answers total) 8 users marked this as a favorite
Lately my daughter and I have become somewhat addicted to Minecraft (about half an hour to an hour most evenings.) I play while she watches and jointly decide what to do and create a storyline. She absolutely loves it, and so do I, but it's beginning to pall somewhat. I'm considering giving it up, but first I thought I'd ask for some ideas.
Stuff we've already done and enjoyed:
- Things domestically-inclined generally work well. Adding rooms to our various houses, laying carpets, adding furniture. The problem is that she gets impatient with building projects that take too long.
- Things related to the animals work well. Gathering sheep, cows, chickens and pigs, building pens for them, colouring wool and shearing sheep, milking cows, etc. And of course breeding them. But we ran out of stuff to do with them pretty quickly.
- Finding wolves and taming them was a huge hit, as were puppies. But there's not much more we can do with them.
- We're lucky to have a village close by. Building extra houses for the villagers was fun, and creating an iron golem. We wish they'd have more children but don't know how to encourage this.
- We built a minecart track from our house to the top of a nearby mountain. But once that's done, there's not much more to do.
Stuff that doesn't work so well:
- Going underground is out. So I have to mine when she's not around. (We play in Survival mode.) Needless to say, the Nether is not an option.
- Going on long journeys is also not very popular. She much prefers staying close to home, taking occasional journeys with a known objective.
- Time-consuming building projects -- but I'd love to see some reasonably simple building ideas that would give us a clear goal to work towards.
So what do I have in mind? Maybe a gallery of nice not-too-complex architectural models that we can emulate. Maybe fun activities with minecarts or water fountains. Maybe things involving the villagers, or the farm animals. And I don't know of anything entertaining to do with automata (redstone, pistons, dispensers, etc.) Or perhaps join a multiplayer server? (But she'd be loathe to leave "our" world behind.)
Or perhaps I should call time on Minecraft for now. We do lots of other things together, but she does love co-playing videogames. I was wondering if we should try The Sims, or some god game, but I don't want us to get into something overly time-consuming or too advanced either.