Let 100 Podcasts Contend?

I am really enjoying the History of Rome podcast. I was hoping to find something on Chinese history that was in the same vein (those dynasties are a bit bewildering). The China History podcast is OK, but I am not loving his jumping around. Is there anything else out there?
posted by GenjiandProust to Education (3 answers total) 33 users marked this as a favorite

Hardcore History is pretty amazing, and their Death Throes of the Republic series is right up your alley. It's one of many subjects covered by the show, but that particular series in total is 10 hours+.
posted by gregoryg at 2:09 PM on March 8, 2012

I don't really know of anything even remotely similar to History of Rome podcast for Chinese History.

There are some audio from Great Courses company but they're not free. Check with your library see if they have them.

Fall and Rise of China.
Mostly about Modern China

From Yao to Mao: 5000 Years of Chinese History
Good overview but there will be some gross simplification when trying to fit 5000 years of history into 36 lectures.
posted by Carius at 10:23 PM on March 8, 2012

Followup: I am about 5 lectures into From Yao to Mao, and it's pretty good so far (especially in conjunction with the "dynasty by dynasty" part of the the China History Podcast, since they take somewhat different approaches to the material). Getting the set via Interlibrary Loan was pretty easy, so there is an answer for you if a) the price tag is daunting and b) you have access to a library (at least in the US).
posted by GenjiandProust at 7:54 AM on March 24, 2012

« Older Habitually editing while I wri...   |  How to cite in APA a book chap... Newer »