Help Me Cite Properly!!

How to cite in APA a book chapter that has a different original publication date than the book?

I just borrowed a newer edited book from the university library (published in 2011) and inside it contains a bunch of articles that were previously published elsewhere (mainly in refereed journals). Should I cite the journal that it came from originally or the book that I read it from? Normally, I'd obviously cite the book chapter, but the part that's throwing me is that they have different original publication dates. Many were published in the late 1990s or early 2000s. When using in text citations, should I use the book date or the original journal date? I am citing in APA style currently.

Also, for the bibliography, should I...

Cite from the book:
Stanko, E. (2011). Theorizing About Violence..." in M. Chesney-Lind and M. Morash blah blah blah (the full book info like the publisher/place etc.)

OR

Cite the original source:
Stanko, E. (2006).Theorizing About Violence..." Violence Against Women, 12, pp. 543-55.

Or is there some other way that I don't know about to include both dates?

Thank you for your help!
posted by DorothySmith to Education (1 answer total)

Nevermind! I just asked a professor and she told me to cite the original source and not the book. Thanks anyway!
posted by DorothySmith at 12:31 PM on March 8, 2012

« Older I am really enjoying the Histo...   |  Need a recommendation for a wi... Newer »