What do I need to do to prepare for my own death?
February 28, 2012 3:59 PM Subscribe
What do I need to do to make sure all my affairs are in order in case I die? I have no kids and don't own property.
posted by anonymous to law & government (19 answers total) 50 users marked this as a favorite
I have a medical condition that could cause sudden death or incapacitation. There is no cure and treatment is iffy. As such, I need to make sure my affairs are in order. I'm starting from scratch; I don't have a will or anything.
- I'm a woman married to a man; we have no kids and aren't planning on any (I can't conceive so no accidents are possible).
- I'm in my 30s.
- We don't own anything except an 8 year old car in my name that's probably worth $6000. The next most valuable thing is my wedding ring, probably $2000.
- We have a significant amount of debt, but it should be paid off in 2013.
- We would like to buy a house after the debt is paid off.
- We have four pets.
- I have about $30K in life insurance through work; I imagine it makes sense to increase it. Can I take out a policy without my spouse knowing? (He will be the beneficiary.)
- On that note, I want everything to go to my spouse unless we win the lottery or something before I die.
- I really, honestly, don't care what's done with my body or at my funeral. I would like my family to take care of it in whatever way makes them feel better, even if it's a big Jesusy thing (I'm an atheist).
I would rather do this myself and not involve a lawyer. It seems pretty simple, I just don't know what to do.