Lifehacker for Older Parents
February 26, 2012 5:13 PM Subscribe
My parents are getting older and I'm thinking of ways to help them out. Can you share some gadgets/lifehacks/changes in way of life that might have helped out your older parents?
posted by althanis to Human Relations (18 answers total) 41 users marked this as a favorite
I don't live with them anymore, in fact they live in another country. Oh, they're also retired. Examples of things I've already done:
1. Setting up Logmein on their computer, so whenever something goes wrong I can log in and help them.
2. Set up Skype to autologin so they can see us whenever we are on.
3. Set up email accounts and showed them how to use it.
4. Bought them a rice-cooker.
5. Got them Samsonite spinner luggage.
6. We bought them ebook readers, so we purchase and email them books.
It doesn't have to be technology related, or expensive. And it doesn't have to be a physical "thing" either; any sort of suggestions that might just make things a little easier for them as they grow older. For example, maybe they should start leaving the door open when they go to the bathroom, in case something happens to one of them while they're in there (they live alone).
Looking forward to your suggestions, thank you!