Help me with me new (used) MacBook Pro
February 17, 2012 4:30 AM Subscribe
Inherited a MacBook Pro! Looking for some help/guidance for a PC user.
Greetings all. I have been a lifelong PC user (out of necessity - cost/affordability of PCs). I used a Mac for a couple of years when I was in university (15+ years ago) and loved them. I vowed to get one again when I could afford it. Long story short, I have always opted for the cheaper PC versions for my home computers and I currently have an aging laptop and fairly new desktop.
Anyway, I recently "inherited" a Mac computer from my brother in law! I helped him move this weekend and he gave me his "old" Mac laptop for assisting him (and doing all of the heavy lifting). He recently purchased a MacBook Air which he is in love with and he also has an iPad 2, so there was no need for him to have the older Pro. Granted, he did say it has been giving him some "issues" recently (he didn't elaborate) and that the battery no longer performs that well (which I am ok with as I will mostly be using it plugged in).
Anyway, I am completely new to the Mac world. I literally plugged it in the other night, turned it on, went through the set-up process and checked my email through Safari. Everything went smooth thus far (I think).
Without sounding like a total idiot, I didn't even know what "type" of MacBook Pro it was (what year it was released, how old it was, the monitor size, if it was one of those aluminum ones, what version of OS it ran, etc). I did some basic Google searches and found out (with the last 3 digits of the serial number YJX) that it is a MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.4 from 2008? (I think). I know it is running Mac OS X 10.5.8 (as I checked it last night).
Therefore, as a long PC user and relatively new to the Mac environment (I have an iPhone and had several iPods including a Touch, so I am not completely new to the Apple, iTunes and the App world), is there anything I should know? I am finding the layout of the file management system a little weird, but I am sure I can get used to it.
I did an "update" last night (under the Apple icon for the software update) and it now seems to be up to date (I downloaded ALL of the recommended updates). Some of the things that I am wondering:
- Are there any basic scans that I should do to see if this Mac is running smooth and there are no underlying issues with it? (as I said, he noted that he had been having some issues with it lately)
- Are their any basic tests I can do to see if the battery life is a problem (and if it is, can I buy a battery and replace it myself?)
- Is there any software that I should get for the Mac (including an apps I should buy from the Mac store)?
- I have been hearing that Macs don't get viruses as often as PCs. Is this really true? Or should I get a virus scanner and/or Malware scanner?
- I am trying to get iChat started, but I can't (it seems to have skipped the initial set-up stage – I wasn’t given the option to set it up) and I don't know how to get back to set it up
- I want to check out the Mac App store but I don’t think I can from my computer/software. Is this the case?
- Is this the reason why I can’t use FaceTime?
- What about accessories? Do I need a keyboard cover/protector, etc.
Again, I am looking for BASIC information, as I have this beautiful machine sitting home waiting for me to play with it and i have NO idea what to do?
Anyway advice would be appreciated (and please be nice)...Thanks!