Can you recommend a good coffee shop/hiding spot in the NH/VT Upper River Valley (but not in Hanover/Lebanon/WRJ)?
What I'm looking for is the sort of place where I can linger for a few hours and get some serious reading/writing/grading done on the days where the office and the home offer too many distractions. When I lived in the Pioneer Valley, my go-to was the Montague Book Mill
, which was perfect -- just far enough away from the five colleges that I wouldn't bump into many people I knew, and just comfortable enough for me to really get stuff done when I was there.
1. It should be less than an hour's drive from the Hanover area. (I'm happy to go even a little further northward, actually).
2. It shouldn't be in Hanover, Lebanon, or White River Junction. I know all about the Dirt Cowboy, Umpleby's, Rosey Jekes', the Tuckerbox, and the like. But I want a place that's a little further away from the college community.
3. It should be open past 2pm, and (ideally) open on Sundays.
4. It should have tables and decent lighting, so I can work.
5. It'd be a great bonus if they had good loose-leaf teas, too.
I'm happy to drive a little if I can find a nice rural place where I'm unlikely to bump into many people I know from Hanover, and where I can buy a drink every hour and stick around to get work done for decent stretch of time. So, does the place I'm looking for exist? And if so, where is it?