Until we solve this, I have to keep buying CDs....
November 25, 2011 7:52 PM Subscribe
I'm technology speak impaired. Is there a wireless ... thing ... of some kind that we can somehow attach to our old (but terrific sound quality) stereo system so I can stream music to it from my phone or laptop?
posted by anastasiav to computers & internet (26 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite
So, yeah, I'm not techie by any means, but I'm not your mom either.
Here's what we have:
- An older Sony receiver, hooked to a very, very nice surround system. It was made before wireless became a "thing" but it works fine and has pretty stellar sound quality.
- Eight very nice speakers, distributed through two rooms
- The last of the non-HD Tivos (dual tuner) with separate Tivo branded wireless adapter.
- A blue-ray player that does have a wireless interface (which we've never used)
- A less-than-a-year old flatscreen TV (non HD - my eyesight is so bad that HD really is lost on me.)
- A Sony laptop with iTunes & the music on a robust external drive
- An iPhone 3GS
Currently, I can stream music from my laptop to the Tivo, and the Tivo plays it through the surround - fine. Except the new TV turns itself off when it's been "idle" for more than 30 minutes, and the Tivo hooks into the TV which then hooks into the receiver. So every 30 minutes or so I have to turn the TV back on.
What I'm hoping you can point me to is some kind of wireless... something ... that I can plug directly into the receiver so that I can play music directly through the sound system without having to involve the Tivo and/or turn on the TV.
Oh, and we also have a Roku, but I don't think that helps.
Is Airport Express the thing I want here? Something else? A complicating factor is that our wifi originates from upstairs, far away, and so can be a little dogy in the room where the stereo actually lives, so I'm always a little hesitant to add something else to the downstairs wireless mix.
Thoughts? Cheap thoughts?