Sturdily constructed spiral notebooks or pads with high-quality gridded paper: do they exist?
November 13, 2011 5:15 PM Subscribe
I find myself perpetually unsatisfied with all the notebooks and pads I have tried for general note-taking/writing/sketching/brainstorming. Please help me find the perfect brand of pad or notebook.
posted by The Master and Margarita Mix to shopping (21 answers total) 59 users marked this as a favorite
I have tried any number of different brands notebooks and pads over the years, including Moleskine, Miquel-Rius, and Rhodia, and dozens of non-name brands. Rhodia is the closest I've come to perfection but they don't quite have what I'm looking for. At the moment, what I use is whatever brand of plain yellow legal pad is convenient, but this is less than satisfactory.
- Roughly letter-sized. Somewhat smaller is okay, but the ability to draw charts/graphs/sketches is key, so anything shorter than 8 inches will not cut it.
- Spiral-bound, either at the side or the top, so I can fold the cover and pages back easily without having an enormous curl of paper over the top.
- Solid construction, so that the rings will not get smooshed and misaligned after a few days of being smooshed under books, etc.
- Decent quality paper, such that ink or coffee stains won't bleed through more than a few sheets
- Lined paper, although spacing does not matter; I'm good for actual sketchbooks, this is for writing and drawing and my handwriting does not go well with unlined paper.
Optional, but would be nice:
- Gridded paper
- Tearaway sheets, so I don't have to wrestle with ripping sheets out, or have that awful "fringe" of torn holes for the spirals at one edge.
- Small box at the top or bottom margin of each sheet for the date/subject
Does something like this exist?