Looking for a site that reviews ebooks and not just books.

Could anyone recommend a site that reviews ebooks not just on the merits of their content, but on how well they're presented?

My Google skills are failing me here, so I'm hoping someone knows what I'm after. When it comes to DVDs and BluRays, it's not that hard to find sites that review the presentation of the film and not just the film itself. Something like this MichaelDVD review (sorry about the film selection, it was the first link on the front page!)

I'm in the mode now of almost exclusively buying ebooks instead of paperbacks, but I've been fairly disappointed by some basic and obvious formatting errors in the books I've bought. Most recently my copy of A Dance with Dragons from the Kindle Store had a glaring error at the start of every chapter, and what seemed like line break errors at various places throughout the text.

So does anybody know of a site that reviews or collects reviews which either focus exclusively on, or regularly set aside a section of the review to discuss the quality of the ebook's presentation?

Thanks.
posted by dumbland to Shopping (4 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

I wouldn't trust any such site because Amazon is constantly fixing and updating typos in books. Complain to Kindle Customer Service or use the highlight tool to notify them of problems.
posted by b1tr0t at 7:47 PM on November 7, 2011

Also I see a lot of Amazon reviews that are purely reviews of the quality of the e-dition
posted by OHenryPacey at 8:04 PM on November 7, 2011

I don't know of any specific site, but I do work in publishing, and I can tell you that a lot of these types of errors are due to the device - I just had to deal with one where Amazon said the origin font was fine, but it wouldn't render any double F's and a couple of other characters, making the entire e-book absolutely worthless. The problem was only on the Kindle - it looks fine as is on Nook, Apple, Sony, Kobo, and any PC-based reader other than Amazon's Kindle reader.

That's the problem with e-book conversions right now - there's no way a publisher can test every file on every version of every device out there. It's going to look bad on some of them, and it happens most frequently with Amazon because their device is the most readily available and because they have proprietary software that other devices don't use.

They do have a 7-day return policy on e-books.
posted by peanut_mcgillicuty at 8:09 PM on November 7, 2011 [2 favorites]

there's no way a publisher can test every file on every version of every device out there. It's going to look bad on some of them, and it happens most frequently with Amazon because their device is the most readily available and because they have proprietary software that other devices don't use.

This is completely nonsensical. If Kindle is the biggest platform, then it is the platform that should be tested first. Sure there are a bunch of Kindle devices, but the test matrix is FAR smaller than what a typical Android (software) developer has to deal with.

Also, if you ask your contact at Amazon, they should be able to provide you with guidelines for producing eBooks that will render properly on the various kindles. You can write a very simple perl script to verify your books.

In reality, the problem is that publishers simple can't be bothered to proof read their eBooks.
posted by b1tr0t at 8:19 PM on November 7, 2011 [2 favorites]

« Older When is it OK to talk to my wi...   |  Last minute Chicago commute qu... Newer »