Accutane. HBC intolerance. IUD. Anxiety about all of the above. Here we go.
posted by hubble to Health & Fitness (21 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
If it matters, I'm 32, pregnant once, long ago, terminated.
Ok. There are a few factors at play here:
1. I am not on birth control, currently, because...
2. All, yes, all forms of HBC make me crazytown. Or exacerbates the crazytown, if you'd prefer.
3. I have a history of depression both in myself and my family. It's A Thing.
4. I now have a boyfriend. Hooray! But that means birth control. Boo. Scary.
5. I am nervous as hell about installing an IUD. I've read previous questions about it here, and even the level-headed MeFites seemed to say that they basically bled, had terrible cramps, and exhibited PMS behavior for so long that they just gave up and had it removed.
6. My lovely cystic acne has gotten way worse in the last year. I'm actually in real, physical pain because of it. My really great dermatologist has tried all of the things. We're doing one more round of prescription face washes, creams, and pills, and if it's still no dice, he's pushing Accutane. Hard.
On top of this, Accutane has gotten all kinds of bad press lately. My dermatologist was adamant that it is all basically scare tactics.
When I went for my appointment tonight, he made me sign the IPledge paperwork and I all but had an anxiety attack, initialing each line that I'm basically cool with "suicidal tendencies, depression, etc" and the "may cause serious birth defects." I know they *have* to keep you apprised of the risks, but I've never been on a medication that seems this severe.
He even went so far as to try to put me on the pill TONIGHT, so that a month from now, if this round of topical/pill treatments fail, I would be ready to go on Accutane.
I, of course, panicked and balked, basically yelling I NEED TO TALK TO A GYNO FIRST AND MAYBE A PSYCHIATRIST. He relented.
Ok, level-headed Mefites, my questions:
1. Should I get a second opinion? I felt all kinds of anxious that he was pushing something that looks, well, horrible.
2. If overreacting in my anxiety over Accutane, can anybody give me data/anecdata that could make me change my mind?
3. I'm going on the birth control anyway, because of said boyfriend, but considering HBC is basically out, can anyone help me feel better about an IUD? I'm truly scared. If it's really that bad, PMS-symptom-wise, should I even consider trying HBC again? (With a real sit-down talk with the boyfriend, of course.)
4. Is there any course of action that I haven't thought of?
Sorry - my head is swimming with anxiety, and Things I Need To Do In The Next Month and Decisions I Have To Make. My goals are simple: get rid of the painful acne, not get pregnant, and not go crazy in the process. What are the easiest way to do these things?