Please help me choose a new printer for my Mac-based home office. My current printer is a
black and white laser printer I got in, I think, 2005, and it finally seems to be about to go. I need good and fast duplex printing, a decent flatbed scanner, and good/fast photocopying. Should I move to inkjet?? Should I get something with wireless networking?? More specifics within!
The Brother DCP 7020 has been acting up for a while -- sometimes not printing when I tell it to, needing to be turned off and on a lot, smearing toner all over my pages, etc -- and finally it is low on toner and I think I'd rather just go ahead and get the inevitable new printer rather than buy a new cartridge.
What I like about my Brother:
- good scanning
- no compatibility issues with our Macs
- very fast
- good quality until it started getting smeary in the past couple of years
What I wish I had:
- duplex printing (this is now a must for me and I can't believe I've lived this long without it)
- maybe color -- this is not a dealbreaker for me; we don't need to print beautiful/perfect photographs, but the option of color would be helpful sometimes
- maybe wireless networking (we have 2 Mac laptops and 2 iPhones in this house and it would be nice to be able to print from anywhere, but again it's not a make or break factor)
For price range, I am not really sure, but I mostly want to choose something that will be a good value in the long term. I guess it would be nice to keep it under $150-200, but I'm willing to go up more if needed if it would be a better decision for us. If we should be sticking with laser and we go to color/wireless, it seems like that's going to be a lot more expensive, which I am open to if it's the best option.
I don't really care about the aesthetics of the machine. It can be bulky/unsexy. Function is a lot more important to me.
I don't care about having a fax machine either.
cnet's favorite printers
started me thinking about the possibility of going with inkjet, which I haven't had in many many years. The Epson WorkForce 840 looks like a good option, but am I going to get into an annoying and expensive ink- and/or special-paper-buying trap as well as have the quality of my prints suffer?
One final note - I am pretty distrustful of the HP brand. Prior to purchasing this Brother I have now, I had like 3-5 HP printers up and die on me in a row, each one crapping out just after going out of warranty. I guess I'll reconsider, though, if someone convinces me I should!!
Please be specific in your recommendation with brand name/model number if possible!! I'm a little overwhelmed by all the choices out there. Thanks for the help, guys!