Getting from concept to execution
August 15, 2011 9:23 AM Subscribe
I'm developing a web app in Open BlueDragon with a MongoDB backend. So, uh... how do I deploy this thing, anyway?
posted by The Winsome Parker Lewis to Computers & Internet (5 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
I installed OpenBD and MongoDB for a few reasons, one of which was price (you can't beat free!). Everything's coming along nicely and I love this platform. I was just obliviously writing code on my laptop when the thought occurred to me... I have no idea how to move to a production environment when the time comes. I'll break it down into five specific questions:
- What are some reliable hosting companies that support both OpenBD and MongoDB? I don't anticipate needing oodles of bandwidth and I'm on a shoestring budget.
- Could I use a BlueDragon host instead of OpenBD, without needing to change my code? What would be the pros and cons of that?
- What do I need to know, in general, about making the switch from developer to site admin? With regards to security procedures, monitoring, and the like? The more of this my host will take care of for me, the better.
- Should I be using GitHub? I never have, and don't really understand the point, but all the cool webdevs do it, so maybe there's some reason that I don't know about? An overview of the service would be very helpful for me.
- More of a business question: How do I monetize this? It's a browser-based MMO space trading game. It's important to me that it remain free-to-play, free from ads, and with none of those Farmvillian in-game microtransactions. An acquaintance of mine suggested Kickstarter but I've never used it, and I'm concerned that it only pays an initial sum rather than an ongoing stream. I'm not looking to get rich here, just to cover my costs. I will have donation links in the site footer, maybe that alone would be sufficient over time?