Making plans for Nigel.
July 17, 2011 11:26 AM Subscribe
(Local attractions filter): Washington, DC, for teenagers.
posted by Nomyte to travel & transportation around Washington, DC (24 answers total)
I am importing my 15-year-old younger brother into DC for Otakon
weekend, and also a few days before and after. Every time he comes, I'm at a loss for where to take him and what to do with him, and I appreciate your suggestions. Some specifics:
- The time window is July 27th through August 2nd.
- He's been to DC several times before, so just seeing the Capitol, the White House, and the National Monument is no longer inherently thrilling.
- He's not much for the Smithsonian museums, especially now that they're chock-a-block with out-of-state visitors with children.
- We've repeatedly been to the zoo.
- Baltimore and Annapolis destinations are OK, keeping in mind that we've already been to the BMA, the Walters, the AVAM, and the Aquarium multiple times.
- No camping or overnight trips to the country.
Vague ideas of what we're looking for:
- "Stuff adults do for fun," i.e., he's not interested in kiddie events.
- Some sort of musical act or show, although nothing interesting seems to be playing nearby, and I'm loath to spend $50 to go to a random show at the 9:30 Club. Obviously, he can't go to 18+ shows.
He doesn't seem to have any hobbies or interests beyond videogames, anime, and websurfing, so your guess is as good as mine about what he might like. For reference, last year we went to an Arcade Fire concert and enjoyed it tremendously.