Where should I live in the Netherlands?
July 6, 2011 12:21 PM Subscribe
Mrs Primate, the Messrs Primates Junior and I may be moving back to the Netherlands in the near future. I'm looking for recommendations of small towns or neighborhoods in larger cities to check out. We're know A'dam inside and out and are pretty familiar with Utrecht and Haarlem, but we haven't actually lived in the country since 1999 (although we visit twice a year), so....
posted by digitalprimate to Home & Garden (15 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
Our criteria are:
1. In the Randstad, but no further South than Leiden (in the West) or Utrecht (in the East).
2. Absolutely nothing above the canal.
3. We dig de Stijl period stuff (think Apollolaan in A'dam or most of Hilversum). No nieuwbouw!!!
4. Small towns near big cities would be great, so long as they still actually have a centrum with shops in it (NOT just an AH) and have at least a stoptrein.
5. Bonus points for elementary school (basis) age kid friendly features, although I'm not really sure what those might be.
Also, if you think I'm overlooking some critical thing, please do chime in!