How should I seek my fortune?
July 5, 2011 5:53 PM Subscribe
I want to go off to seek my fortune -- how do I do it?
posted by carolinaherrera to work & money (20 answers total) 17 users marked this as a favorite
I read a lot of stories about people striking it rich by taking risks and going off to seek their fortune, but have no idea how it actually happens.
If you were me, what would you do?
Some background below...
- Bachelors and Masters degrees from elite universities (with high GPA)
- Some programming skill and experience
- A couple of college internships at top companies as a business analyst
- An entrepreneurial spirit
- Native English speaker and a couple of other languages (not Mandarin)
- Accounting, finance, real estate, etc. courses
- Well-traveled and enjoy new environments, willing to live anywhere in the world. I've done the backpacking/youth hostel thing
- Significant amount of savings (over $100k in USD)
- No family ties, responsibilities, romantic relationships, etc.
- Unmotivated and directionless at the moment
- Some psych issues (depression, anxiety, moodiness)
- Need structure in order to perform, but am miserable in very corporate environments (so no investment banking or corporate law for me)
- Tech boom in San Francisco?
- Seeking my fortune in China? (If so, what should I do to prepare? What contacts should I make? Should I try to get a job from here?)
- iPhone/iPad app development?
- Distressed real estate?
- How do you structure a search for a way to make your fortune?
- What would you do if you were me?
- What should I be reading (forums?)/thinking about/listening to (podcasts?) that will help me?