I feel like I have two very different life goals that aren't compatible with each other at all.
1.) I'm the kind of person who wants to make a lot of money, if nothing else but to give it to various charities with follow through (see how they use it / volunteer a few times a year / help them succeed) but overall to just be a successful person. Be decently comfortable.
2.) My housing dream, since I was about 10 or 11 and refined when I discovered the Tumbleweed Tiny House company at about 14, is to have a little house on a large amount of property.
1. I'm the kind of person who wants to really take up gardening, to compost, to live off at least part of my land;
2. The kind to have chickens in the 20+ size flock, a couple of big gentle cold winterable type dogs who live inside but who also go running with me and other outside sports, a cat perhaps inside, possible goats or some such;
3. The kind to have solar panels, a small wind turbine, a solar oven, a back deck just for a view, a fireplace that heats the house, a self built smoke-house with
4. Possibly my own hunted game inside and a stump out back to dispatch a chicken for dinner once in a while;
5. So therefore the kind with an axe and a few guns in the house.
6. And the kind who loves using the internet for references and keeping contact but who, instead of buying an electric blanket this winter, bought two hot water bottles.
While not all of that was necessary to the question, it should help you to get an idea about me.
How do I.....reconcile between two such ideals? I mean, a lot of my time would be spent up keeping the farm but I also have the desire to work an actual job.
I have had experience with working various kinds of jobs; zoo volunteer (mucky but fun work, with some heavy lifting occasionally), dental assistant, retail, restaurant, and currently military. My job in the military (tech), or at least my experience, apparently has the reputation to provide me with the training to get a very well paying, albeit desk, job after I get out. Yet my first urge is to want to learn farm skills via WWOOFing
and possibly a job like Workampering
just for fun once or twice (yeah, it's mainly old people that do that second one).
I'm determined that the first place I buy be a small towable house. Because then I would at least -have- my own house and could save on rent, etc. But it's a hard time for dreamers right now. I just don't want to get out of the military and have to wait another few years to get started. I don't want my dream to be my retirement plan - no offense to all of you retired farmers out there, but I'd rather start young.
Help? Do I really have to decide between a successful challenging job and a borderline hippie commune like lifestyle?
(So far as I figure, btw, a man to help me doesn't factor into it. It could, but I'm selfish and I'm sure that moving somewhere to “live with him” butts up against an idea that it should be the other way around. Anyway, I'm not determined to marry and have kids or anything, but I can't -completely- throw the idea out.)