I cannot access a particular site using my internet connection and need help with figuring out why?

Cannot access a particular site (3quarksdaily) and unable to figure out why?

I can't seem to access www.3quarksdaily.com and am unable to understand what the problem is. I'm able to access any other site I wish just fine and can get to the site if I use a public proxy server, though I can't imagine it being blocked for any reason by my ISP (I'm in Delhi/India). Short of calling and asking the ISP, which might be a protracted process, is there anything I can do to identify and rectify the problem? Thanks!
posted by sk381 to Computers & Internet (4 answers total)
Do a traceroute.

Here were the last four steps of my traceroute:

10 ae-5-5.car1.Oakland1.Level3.net 82 ms
11 SIX-APART-L.car1.Oakland1.Level3.net56 ms
12 Unavailable 68 ms
13 blogs.typepad.com 53 ms

If your traceroute gets to the second-to-last one but not the last one, then it means your IP has been banned.

It might not be you yourself who is at fault. There's been a lot of abuse by people in places like India, Ukraine, Russia, and some system managers have taken to banning entire IP blocks just because they're fed up with it.
posted by Chocolate Pickle at 9:26 PM on March 28, 2011

Apparently India's government has a history of blocking typepad (best article I could find quickly), who hosts 3 quarks, and so it might once again be blocked for censorship reasons.
posted by yeahyeahyeahwhoo at 6:48 AM on March 29, 2011

This is their RSS feed. If you continue to have trouble, perhaps subscribing to it in Google Reader or some such would work for you.
posted by nevercalm at 9:54 AM on March 29, 2011

I think yeahyeahyeahwhoo has got it, your ISP might be blocking the site itself or parts of the main page, preventing it from loading fully:

Maybe try a traceroute (tracert in windows) to the following:
posted by samsara at 10:18 AM on March 29, 2011

« Older [Cheesecake Filter] I'm hopin...   |  Where can I buy a set of refri... Newer »