No job and scared.
March 22, 2011 6:31 PM Subscribe
Today I was fired from my job of 10 years. I don't know what to do.
posted by anonymous to work & money (29 answers total) 17 users marked this as a favorite
I wasn't going and had excessive absences in the last year because I was depressed, overwhelmed and couldn't handle it. For a while I had been wanting to try some new things but never knew how to break into new fields. Now it seems I may have no choice. Please no judging. I know I am at fault for the loss of my job.
I live in the US, in New York state. I had been on medication and seeing a therapist and psychiatrist. I am not sure that this is going to be possible now that I have no job, no insurance.
I am shell shocked and don't know what I am going to do. I have some questions that any adult should probably know the answers to. Forgive these probably stupid, probably self evident and google-able questions that I have now.
- What actions should I take first? Second? Third?
- How do I go about looking for a job? This is such a simple yet such a loaded question from someone who hasn't looked for a job in 10 years.
- Can I get on disability for depression?
- How do I get a job when I have been working in a specialized field (graphic design) that payed fairly well? I feel I am so specialized that it may be hard to find another job that I fit into.
- Can I get on unemployment insurance if I was fired from a job? (I was fired for the excessive absences)
- I have $5000 in credit card bills. What happens if I can't make payments on my bills?
- What if get sick and I can't pay for treatment because I have no insurance?
Throwaway email email@example.com.
Thank you in advance for ANY and ALL advice you can give me.