. I currently use a 2.53GHZ Core i5 15-inch Macbook Pro but am finding it awkward and value portability. I'm afraid of switching because of disk space issues/inadequate Core 2 processor and possibly not getting my money's worth. I'm looking for some sagely advice from anyone.
My Macbook Pro is a matter of weeks old, it's the 15 inch 2.53GHZ i5 Model, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD
. I'm finding it a tough to adapt because i've been using the plastic 13-inch Macbook for over 4 years. I find the increased size and weight awkward when using it, especially when carrying it around.
Yet I'm cautious of getting the Macbook Air (which will be the top of the range 13-inch model with 4GB RAM and 256GB Storage) because:
(i) I have a lot of digital stuff, around 250GB. Most of that is music and movies. I'd like to have at least 50GB available free storage just to be safe. The MBA has only 256GB max. Is it excessive to need this much storage? Is this normal, or should I just learn to be more prudent with space? (if so tips please)
(ii) I'm one of those people who dabble in music. I'd like to be able to run Garageband with a midi keyboard (important) as well as maybe Ableton Live (not so important). I'm afraid I might be limited in the future processor wise. Basically, I'd like to know just how
limited I will be should I want to branch out and do more things with my Macbook Air.
(iii) Standard investment worries; will the next refresh of the MBA bring with larger flash storage (500GB would be perfect)/faster processor (i3)/USB3 or Light Peak (slow data transfer over USB is the most annoying problem)? Should I wait until then, sell my MBP then get the MBA when it's a little bit more suited for my needs. This problem is mainly down to the fact that the storage + RAM is not end user upgradable. Which is scary.
Possibly I might use Photoshop to touch up photos if iPhoto won't cut the mustard, but that's a once a month occurrence, and it's nothing heavy, just light levels, contrast etc. Again using stuff like Ableton is whimsical when feeling a creative urge, I might use it once in a blue moon. Regularly I use garageband to record rough demos, etc. I'm one of those people who dabbles but hasn't yet been dedicated enough to do anything substantial, music production wise. Mostly just demoing ideas.
90% of the time I will have stuff like MS Word for writing essays, Safari, Mail, iCal, iTunes and VLC running. Nothing particularly processor intensive. I really
multitask especially with Safari tabs.
I picked up a MBA and loved it, it was so light and portable which is exactly what i need. My MBP is pretty heavy and a bit of a pain to lug around. I don't forsee the lack of a keyboard back light being a problem as I'm so used to not having one. Lack of superdrive definitely won't be a problem, the lack of USB ports i'm unsure, i only really use it for backing up data to external HD, iPhone and my MIDI keyboard.
Can you lend any wise words that as MBA owners wished you'd known earlier? Is it a prudent choice to potentially restrict myself with the MBA? Should I make the leap now, or should I wait it out till the MBA is safer, then sell my MBP? I have the opportunity to swap the MBP directly with Apple for the MBA at the moment, which is why I'm considering it. How does the resell in the future idea sound, will it depreciate substantially in value?
Sorry for the bombardment of questions/length, but £1500 is a lot of money for me and I want to make the right choice. Before anyone says, I've read all past questions relating to the MBA, as well as this by BrooksReview
which actually precipitated the decision to change.