Help me throw myself a birthday party in NYC
December 6, 2010 11:16 AM Subscribe
I think I want to throw myself a 30th birthday party in NYC next month. Help me find the perfect venue.
posted by miskatonic to sports, hobbies, & recreation (12 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
I'm turning 30 on January 20th (a Thursday) and I'd like to host a party for about 40 - 60 of my friends. I'm pretty set on Manhattan, but if you've got a great place in mind that's literally just a stop or two into Brooklyn or Queens, feel free to mention it.
I'm especially looking for people who have had a party like this and liked (or didn't like) their experience with a particular venue.
The ballpark budget I have in mind is around $300 - $400, but if this is wildly out of whack with my expectations, let me know, as I have never done this before. I'm willing to spend more for something really awesome. Here are some of the things I'm looking for in a venue:
- I'm kind of assuming it will end up being a bar or pub, because that's where most birthday parties I go to are (unless they're at someone's apartment). So a bar that rents out either a back room or the whole bar space for a decent price is sort of what I have in mind, but I'm open to awesome suggestions of other locations.
- It would be great if the drinks were reasonably priced, as a lot of my friends are kind of broke at the moment. (I'm not assuming I will be able to arrange any kind of open bar with my limited budget.) So $14 cocktail bars are not going to work very well.
- Also, if they serve some kind of snacky food people can order as they feel like it, that would be great. Alternatively, if they'll let me bring in a bunch of snacks without giving me a hard time about it, that's fine too.
- Knowing my friends, I really can't commit to a particular number of people, and it's likely a lot of people will stop by for a drink or two at some point in the evening and then leave. So the headcount needs to be flexible.
- I'd love it if the venue were more interesting than just a faux-Irish pub, but my other criteria trump this one as it's mainly about hanging out with my friends.
- I'd probably want to start this thing right after work on that Thursday (say 6pm) and not have to kick people out until midnight (or later).