New York eye doctor help?
October 20, 2010 8:47 AM Subscribe
Help me find a good eye doctor in Brooklyn or Manhattan.
posted by mhz to Health & Fitness (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
I see the world through a pair of glasses prescribed (and created) over five years ago. (I'm under 25, fwiw.) My last checkup was to get a contact lens prescription, three years ago. I have no intention of buying new glasses or contacts now unless there's been a major change to my prescription, which I don't anticipate. This is more of a 'well visit,' and I want a fresh Rx.
What I'm looking for in an eye doctor:
• Good doctor, with whom your visits were comfortable (for a doctor's office) and medically sound.
• Won't be a jerk about giving me my glasses and contacts prescription, along with PD. I know the law in NYS requires any doctor to give it to me, but I don't want to fight about it.
• Located somewhere near work or on my route home. I work near Penn Station, and can stop anywhere between there and the Brooklyn or Manhattan bridges on my way home; in Brooklyn, anywhere between the bridges and Crown Heights. Will stray for a great recommendation.
• Affordable: I have Davis Vision insurance, so a member doctor would be amazing. If not, a full appointment (including eyeglass and contact lens prescriptions) should be as close to $150 or less as possible.
• Open early/late. This is not as important as the others, but if I can go on my way home from work (>7:15pm), that would be much preferable to taking time off.
Personal experience is best, although a reccomendation based on legitimate reviews from magazines etc would work as well.
If you have a great doctor that doesn't fit exactly into my criteria, please post anyway… I'll justify the time/expense/stress for a great doctor. Just please explain why said doctor is so great.
Thanks so much!