Great, cheap places to go this winter
October 15, 2010 7:59 AM Subscribe
TRAVEL: I am a student living in D.C. Where are the cheapest (warm) countries and cities I can go "backpacking" to this winter break?
posted by bluelight to travel & transportation around Washington, DC (11 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite
When I mean cheap, I'm talking airfare, lodging, food, and travel within the country.
- I will be traveling alone.
- I am a 20-ish Asian female.
- I don't know any Spanish
- I have never been to Central/South America. I'm assuming that if I want a warm place to go to, those will be my cheapest options...
- My traveling window is from December 26 to January 18
- By "backpacking" I mean staying in hostels and walking around with a huge pack on my back. Not the backpacking into the woods kind of thing.
- I don't like a lot of tourist-y spots b/c of the crowds, the price hikes and gaudy feeling I get
- I'm not into the party/night-life scene.
I have traveled solo to Japan, Thailand, Cambodia and Taiwan before [aka some countries where I cannot speak their language] so I wouldn't be going into this trip completely unawares. Still, even though I would like to go as cheap as possible, safety is always a priority.
I do like outdoorsy stuff (In Thailand, I signed up for a three day, two night trekking group trip that was AMAZING. I signed up with a local hostel and do not remember it being too expensive. I would love to do something like this again), great food, friendly culture/local population, and cities/areas that boast fantastic urban parks, great city transportation and high usage of bikes. (Which makes me think of Ciclovia in Bogota....)
Also, what travel agencies should I call for cheap tickets? I thought Kayak was a good bet, but I'm convinced now that travel agencies are the ones to turn to.