Picking a Pack
October 6, 2010 10:32 AM Subscribe
Looking for a great travel backpack - your reviews?
posted by Miko to Travel & Transportation (24 answers total) 14 users marked this as a favorite
I'm going to do some archaeology in Italy next summer, and that provides me a great excuse to get a nice, all-around travel backpack. I've been looking at eBags but have a hard time really trusting the reviews or knowing exactly what I'm looking for. My criteria are below:
1. It should not be totally ugly. I dislike the dark, muddy colors you find on a lot of outdoor gear. All black is OK but colors would be nice.
2. It should be able to hold all gear for a 2-week trip by a light packer who can wash clothes frequently and won't be carrying food.
3. I'm 5'6" and female - for those reasons I tend to like hip suspension packs, but would not be opposed to shoulder support only if it were comfortable.
4. The ones that can open like a suitcase are kind of awesome.
5. I like the idea of a detachable daypack, but did you find you really used it? Is it one of those add-ons that really doesn't deliver value, or was it a fantastic solution that let you leave a purse or the like at home?
6. This does not need to be a backcountry hiking and camping pack. I would look for other criteria in that. This is really something to help plane and train travel be an easy, one-piece proposition, and to let me walk easily with hands free, not rolling a bag or struggling with a duffel.
7. What else should I be thinking of?
Thanks in advance for your road-tested recommendations...looking forward to my travels!