Please help me plan an awesome hardcore state crossin' bicycle trip! Now in 3D!
July 20, 2010 7:11 PM Subscribe
Me and my girlfriend are planning to embark upon a long adventure. We have never done it before and have some questions.
posted by Sentus to travel & transportation (12 answers total) 22 users marked this as a favorite
Dearest hive mind,
My girlfriend and myself plan to go on a bicycle trip without a particular destination. The first direction will be somewhere in south Florida in order to escape the cold. After (and if) we'll arrive we will decide on our next course of action.
Our plan to cover 30-60 miles a day. Carrying the bare essentials in order to curb our weight.
- Winter. We plan to leave after our lease is up in the end of October. Meaning that we are going to be out there in the midst of the cold. Florida hopefully will provide some warmth but till we get there its going to be chilly.
- Money. We think we might save about 750$ each, and we assume our biggest cost is going to be food. The money will drain fairly quickly and we are looking for some creative on-the-road-money-making ideas.
*** Some ideas we bounced around are:
-Posting/Looking for gigs on Craigslist. As general labor, landscape services, whatever we can get. It might work but I think that the smaller towns don't have their own Craigslist section, or have insufficient interest and demand.
-Day labor centers. Could also work but again, a lot of the smaller towns lack any type of day labor centers.
Standing with a sign with something like "Strong back, hard labor, no handouts". The police might harass us. Anyone tried that?
-Places to stay. We will try to reduce any shelter costs to minimum. We do not plan using motels frequently.
- Camping in random forests, camping sites, state parks and such.
- Wwoofing. We are both very interested in organic farming and would love to check out and work in some farms.
- Couch surfing. On a limited capacity. We don't really want to exploit this system for free lodging but want to hand select a few interesting folks to host us.
So, dear folks,
Any comments or nuggets of wisdom regarding the issues above?
What kind of gear would you take with you? Sleeping bags, small tent, versatile stove, warm clothes, bicycle fixing tools, food. What else?
Any words of caution? Did you try it and gave up after a week? Things you would do differently? Success and failure stories?
Any forums, books about the subject, online resources?
Thank you in advance and have a fantastic day!