I recently heard a fantastic rock song, and recognised the tune but couldn't put my finger on it. After playing it over and over in my head for a couple of days I realised that it was a small section of Holst's Jupiter
. Not the main theme that was used for the hymn I Vow to Thee, My Country
or the Rugby World Cup theme, World In Union
- but the specific section heard here between 1:05 and 1:28
I only realised how awesome the song was afterwards, so didn't pay as much attention to it as I should, but:
- Singer was singing the tune. I have no idea what the lyrics were.
- Guitar was playing along to the same tune.
- It sounded like it would have been from the late 60s or very early 70s. Slightly more rocking and psychedelic that mid 60s R&B like The Yardbirds, less noodly than mid 70s prog like Genesis or Yes.
- I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out it's by Cream or Traffic, but I haven't heard all their stuff, and can't see anything in their discographies that fits.
Imagine that theme in the YouTube clip but slowed down and played by a 60s power trio in the style of I Feel Free. This must be easy, but Google is reluctant to reveal the band's identity, and it's not listed on Wikipedia as far as I can see. Anyone?