Help me with a move to Galway, Ireland!
August 7, 2010 1:25 AM Subscribe
I've just been shortlisted for an academic position at the National University of Ireland, Galway campus, but I'm currently living in Australia! Help me with the logistics of starting to consider this move, how we might do it and what Ireland (and NUI Galway, Galway the town) is actually like!
posted by ranglin to Travel & Transportation around Galway, Ireland (12 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
We were applying for jobs in the UK (I have UK citizenship because my father is British and my mother is Irish) and this one seems to have come good (!), but we're now starting to think about the logistics and have a million questions. Looking to the MeFi hive mind to help me with any (or all) of the following:
1. How do we manage an international move? We're thinking that we would initially store most of our stuff and just travel with the essentials, renting a furnished place when we get there. Does this sound reasonable?
2. What is Galway like? We were mainly pitching for areas around London, so Galway is a bit out-of-left-field, but sounds nice according to wikipedia? We currently live on the Gold Coast in Australia, which is a town/city of about 600,000 people. How does Galway compare to this?
3. What is NUI Galway like? Does it have a good reputation in Ireland? How do Irish universities compare to those in the UK? (I know some of this already, but interested in a personal opinion).
4. We have a 6 month old son? Is there anything special we need to consider when moving him to Ireland? My wife is particularly concerned about the availability of the same formulas etc when we get over there.
5. Any other considerations you can think of, or things we need to know about Ireland in general? We've made an interstate move before, but never an international one, so this (possibility) is new to us!
Many thanks all! MeFi is awesome... :)