(Initial disclaimer: I know as much about practical electronics and audio setups as your average Rhesus monkey.)
I recently came into custody of a pair of these Polk tower speakers
. They seemed, to my untrained eye, to be in great condition for their twenty years, so after making sure that they had the same impedance rating (6 Ω) as the speakers that had come with my own stereo
, I swapped them in, wiring the speakers directly to the stereo. (I have a receiver
too, but I couldn't figure out how to put it in the loop.)
The sound is great, but if the volume gets past a certain point (which seems to vary from track to track), the stereo shuts itself off. What sort of mistake am I likely to be making? Could it be a problem with my wiring job? Is the stereo not appropriate for the speakers after all? Do I need the receiver or any other additional equipment?
Stereo specs: AC 120V; 60HZ; 80W
Speaker specs: 6 Ohms; recommended power 20-250 watts per channel; efficiency 89.5 dB