I wanna be an ostrich.
July 11, 2010 8:02 AM Subscribe
Please help me enjoy reading newspapers.
posted by Omnomnom to Grab Bag (16 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite
Not keeping up with current events is noticably detrimental to my job. Realistically, I should be reading one or two newspapers a day and one or two magazines a week. But I've got this seemingly insurmountable block against it.
Reasons I dislike reading newspapers:
1) I always end up sad or angry or both. There's just such a lot of crap happening that I can't do anything about. Reading the morning newspaper means that I start every work day already frustrated. For instance, I've avoided reading about the BP oil disaster because I know it'll make me feel utterly furious and frustrated and helpless.
2) It's something I should be doing. When I was a kid, my mom made me eat fruit every day. Now I am an adult, I get into power struggles with my apple. It sits on my desk every day and says, "you should eat me", and I say "nu-uh, I'm not going to". I feel the same way about newspapers.
3) I'm intimidated by the backlog. There's such a lot I don't know about I don't know if I'll ever catch up.
Things that should make it easier:
1) I am a fast reader and good at making connections between random things I read.
2) There are things I enjoy reading; mostly scientific, historical, cultural stuff, IT news or social phenomena. I just really fail when it comes to political or economic news which is unfortunately what I should be reading. And to be honest, often when I make the effort to read an in depth article I do start enjoying it as long as there is some "people" aspect to it. But it's an enormous effort to force myself into starting.
3) I have a husband who loves reading the papers and is willing to discuss and answer any question. I think I like learning about things from a person much more than I do from reading an article.
4) I feel more relaxed about online news sources. They don't feel quite as threatening.
5) I have subscribed to an ok newspaper (in paper) of reasonable sophistication.
I need some help with my attitude, or maybe some workarounds about it. Is there anything I can do to stop hating newspapers so much?