What is wrong with the wireless internet on this MacBook?
April 5, 2010 5:30 PM Subscribe
If you can fix the incredibly frustrating wireless internet connection issues on my girlfriend's MacBook, we will both be your best friend!
posted by ORthey to Computers & Internet (22 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
(I've read other similar questions but none of them are quite the same as this).
For the past couple weeks, the wireless internet connection on my girlfriend's white MacBook has been really iffy. Mac OS X, version 10.5.8, 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Works well for two minutes, won't connect for two minutes, works well for six minutes, is sluggish for four minutes, etc. It's incredibly frustrating. Here are all pertinent details, some of which may not be related but just in case:
- The other computer in the house, a new 21.5 inch iMac, has not had any issues at all, same router and everything.
- The following message pops up occasionally on both computers simultaneously: "Ip Configuration: 192.168.1.6 in use by d4:9a:20:5c:88:99, DHCP Server 192.168.1.1" - I took a screenshot of one, but I believe they vary sometimes. I googled that error message, and as a result have tried renewing the DHCP lease (on both computers), but that didn't seem to help at all.
- This may not be related at all, but it did seem to start right after a MacBook SMC Firmware update 1.3 on March 8th. There was also an "AirPort Client update 2009-001, 1.0" at the same time.
- When she brought the computer to the place we were housesitting for a few weeks, there were no issues at all. My other computer was also at that house.
- I have restarted the router and modem several times. I also did a proper reset on the modem, and thought that had done the trick - but after maybe ten minutes of solid connection, it started all over again.
- My upstairs neighbor has access to our wireless signal. Could he have done something? Would changing the password do anything?
- The wireless signal itself never seems to waver (always 4 bars), and using the "diagnostics" in the system preferences it always claims the internet connection is working properly.
What the heck is going on? How can I fix this???? Don't hesitate to ask for any more details. HOPE ME!