Unusual locations for studio recordings
March 30, 2010 5:55 PM Subscribe
Which pop and rock music studio recordings
were performed in unusual and unexpected locations?
posted by crapmatic to Media & Arts (56 answers total) 17 users marked this as a favorite
I'm not necessarily talking about recording in basements or bank vaults unless it's got a good story, but I mean geographical locations that are unusual or outside the usual recording circuit (the LA, NYC, and London areas). The more popular or well-known the song, the better. Again, studio songs only.
* All of Band On The Run's album by Paul McCartney & Wings was recorded in Lagos, Nigeria.
* A lot of Boston's music (not sure which ones) were recorded in Tom Scholz' own house in Massachusetts.
* Nina Gordon's Tonight and the Rest of My Life (ok, not as well known) was recorded in Maui.
* Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road was recorded in a chateau outside Paris (a slightly mainstream location as Paris is a cosmopolitan center, but I'd still include it)
* Bee Gee's Jive Talkin' was recorded in a studio in Miami... not what we'd picture for disco hits.
* Prince's Raspberry Beret was recorded in a Minneapolis suburb, and he does have that Paisley Park studio around there.
Counterexample: Abba and Ace of Base recordings were mostly done in Stockholm, which is not really unusual or unexpected since they're Swedish groups.
Bonus question: Do any audiophiles or websites out there track dates that studio songs were recorded? It seems numerous artists logged all their recording dates pretty meticulously in the 1960s, but after that it's hit or miss. It seems only Wikipedia and original album inserts have this information, and it's often pretty spotty.