Join 3,497 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)


Yes, it's this question again
February 2, 2010 1:42 PM   Subscribe

Should I eat this 10 day (approx) old cooked sausage, lentils, and kale dish?

I made a delicious recipe about 10 days ago, consisting of pork sausage, red lentils, and kale (as well as chicken stock, garlic, onion, etc.). I had a bowl, put another bowl in the freezer, and subsequently forgot about the rest in the back of the fridge. I don't want it to go to waste. Is the stuff in the fridge still safe to eat?
posted by SansPoint to Food & Drink (23 answers total)
 
I can't imagine that it is, after ten days.
posted by kate blank at 1:43 PM on February 2, 2010


Damn I always say "eat it", but that's really pushing it. Although...bottom shelf of a cold fridge...I'd probably still eat it. If I really liked it. There's not much I like THAT much.

MIANYISIDK.

(My intestines are not your intestines but I don't know...)
posted by TomMelee at 1:43 PM on February 2, 2010 [1 favorite]


Trust your microwave.
posted by Max Power at 1:45 PM on February 2, 2010


no
posted by kch at 1:48 PM on February 2, 2010


No.
posted by jbenben at 1:49 PM on February 2, 2010


The government would advise you not to (and, FWIW, so would I).
posted by labwench at 1:51 PM on February 2, 2010


Is anything visible growing on it? If not, trust your microwave to make it safe again, then taste a small bite to see how good/bad it is.
posted by rokusan at 1:51 PM on February 2, 2010


You had me at "10 day (approx) old". Don't eat it.
posted by dirtdirt at 1:53 PM on February 2, 2010


10 days is too long. toss it.
posted by emd3737 at 1:53 PM on February 2, 2010


Eeeeeew. 10 days? Throw it out.
posted by asnowballschance at 1:56 PM on February 2, 2010


Ew. Have you even opened the container yet? I think your nose is going to answer this one for you. NO.
posted by peep at 2:04 PM on February 2, 2010


When in doubt, throw it out. Food poisoning is never pleasant.
posted by mossicle at 2:07 PM on February 2, 2010 [1 favorite]


if it doesn't smell bad, have a visible growth on it or the sausage feel slimy, eat it. I would recook it though. I am not sure I would trust a microwave to get it hot enough, long enough to kill bacteria. I would probably pan fry it for a minute or two to reheat/sanitize it. However cookign does not kill toxins in the food from bacteria, hence the smell, visual, slimy test. However if buying new food is not a big problem moneywise why take the risk? could always put in composter if that is an option and don't want to waste it.
posted by bartonlong at 2:14 PM on February 2, 2010 [1 favorite]


It might be safe, but that kale is going to be nasty. Slimy and decomposed and just yuck. It's a shame, but I toss after a week. (Those government-recommended storage times are ridiculous, though -- 3 to 4 days for stew? Maybe if you're 90. And pregnant.)
posted by palliser at 2:21 PM on February 2, 2010 [1 favorite]


Not all bacteria and/or toxins give off a noxious odor.

Don't eat it.
posted by cooker girl at 2:23 PM on February 2, 2010 [1 favorite]


I'd give it a try.
posted by torquemaniac at 2:25 PM on February 2, 2010


haha. You should not eat this! 10 days is way too long.
posted by Dick Laurent is Dead at 2:30 PM on February 2, 2010


Few more details: It's been in a sealed, air-tight container that's been on the bottom shelf of the fridge. It was full to the brim before I sealed it. The darn stuff was of a polenta-like consistency. No odors. I just stuck about a cup's worth in the nuclearator for 3 minutes. Also, palliser, the kale was cooked, and it looks fine. Once it cools a bit, I shall have a taste test.

I think I shall toss it.
posted by SansPoint at 2:30 PM on February 2, 2010


I would MAYBE try it if meat weren't involved, but with sausage in there, no way.
posted by something something at 2:31 PM on February 2, 2010


No way. Don't eat that. Pork? Are you kidding? Even if it looks and smells OK, after a week it isn't good for you or safe to eat. Throw it out.

My friends' housemate was careless with old food a few years ago and he got severe food poisoning and wound up in the hospital. He used the smell test.
posted by eeby at 2:34 PM on February 2, 2010


Taste test: Tastes okay, odd aftertaste. Consider it tossed. I think I'll order out for a hoagie.
posted by SansPoint at 2:35 PM on February 2, 2010


If you eat it, can I have your stuff?
posted by codswallop at 7:08 PM on February 2, 2010


Ah, nuts.
posted by codswallop at 7:08 PM on February 2, 2010


« Older I have a friend who I think is...   |  Can't watch Lost live tonight ... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.