India advice, please!
January 13, 2010 9:47 PM Subscribe
I'm going to go to India in February and March. I have no plans, and would like advice.
Sub-question: if I were to buy a teeny, very light laptop to use while there for email and writing, what kind would be best?
posted by pseudostrabismus to travel & transportation around India (16 answers total) 11 users marked this as a favorite
I am meeting my (American male) friend in Delhi, and we'll hang out together for a week. Then he leaves and I stay another 2 weeks or so. I have no plans (like really, NONE, it's ridiculous) and lots of questions.
Things I enjoy include:
Wandering around in big cities, eating, meeting locals, seeing animals. I'm great with kids and would be up for volunteering, too.
I don't care about indoor tourist attractions like art galleries, nor monument tourism (Eiffel Tower would bore me) but I do like wonders of nature (Grand Canyon would be great), and experiential/immersive stuff (enjoyed NYC's Tenement Museum). I don't really want to hang out with other tourists all day, either, if possible. I am very willing to move around a lot between cities.
1. Where should I go? What should I do?
2. Any advice about which city would be best for departure?
3. I was vaguely considering going to another country during the last 2 weeks. Any suggestions or advice?
4. Advice about accommodations, luggage, stuff to bring?
5. I like the internet a lot but have resolved not to bring my laptop. Is there a gadget- like a small, light laptop- that would let me email and maybe write a little, but not surf too much? I would spend up to $400 on such a gadget. I currently use a MacBook.
6. Any other advice or recommendations would be great.
(Oh, if relevant, I am a brown Canadian female in my late 20s.)