Very long-lasting stomach bug.
January 6, 2010 2:42 PM Subscribe
Very long-lasting stomach bug. Good self-care (well-hydrated, well-slept) but symptoms still bad after 13 days.
posted by sparrows to Health & Fitness (23 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
I'm uninsured (and having no acute or dangerous symptoms anyway), so I'm looking for self-help advice.
- My first stomach bug; I've never experienced something like this. Very healthy early-30s female -- no prescriptions, no recent illness, no international travel, no alcohol or drugs. And I've varied my diet so there's nothing I've eaten/drunk consistently over the last two weeks.
- Today is the 13th day I've had nothing but diarrhea.
- I've thrown up five times since New Year's Day (and I've felt the urge to many more times, but I've now mostly learned the skill of relaxing my throat/muscles out of that urge).
- No sharp pains at any point, but a nearly constant 'wash' of mild to medium pain/discomfort and mild nausea in my stomach and abdomen. Consistently, the discomfort and nausea are mild to medium during the day, then medium to bad at night.
- No head or sinus effects, and only a slight intermittent fever (1 or 2 degrees).
- Well hydrated, getting lots of sleep, feel like my brain's working fine, and have gradually moved back towards good food, good protein, etc.
I'm clearly a bit better than I was, say, five days ago, but the progress is so slow (and the past 2 or 3 days have felt totally the same to me). I'm really at a loss. Feeling like this will never end.
Do you have any not-my-doctor advice? Medicines I could try, foods (vegetarian) I should be eating, any way of alleviating nausea?