Firefox Restore Sesson Fail

Since upgrading to the latest Firefox (3.51?) the Session Restore feature which restores windows, tabs has NEVER worked. I get a white screen which says how embarrassing it is my previous session can't be restored. I'd just like to start every session as a new one, it would save a lot of time, but can't figure out how to avoid the restore function. The Mozilla/Firefox support site is so dense and discombobulated I can't find anything helpful there. Any suggestions?
posted by NorthCoastCafe to Computers & Internet (5 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Try typing about:config into the address bar, get past the warnings, find the following variable:

browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash

and change it to false.
posted by astrochimp at 7:48 AM on July 31, 2009

What Operating System and version are you using?

I had a number of issues with Firefox running in a portable mode on Windows 7 until I explicitly granted my logged-in user account permissions to the file location where Firefox 3.51 portable was installed.

I either had to Run as Administrator or grant permissions to my account for those issues go to away.
posted by kalessin at 7:49 AM on July 31, 2009

Or downgrade, say, to version 3.5.0 for now.
posted by astrochimp at 7:54 AM on July 31, 2009

Could it be a simple fix like this?

Go to Tools, Options, first tab opens at Main. Drop box has three options for when Firefox starts. Pick "show my home page".
posted by raisingsand at 7:55 AM on July 31, 2009

My wife's PC used to bluescreen with monotonous regularity - often when viewing Flash-rich sites in FF. This addon always restores sessions properly (for her, anyway) after a crash. It also allows you to open a session at startup - very handy if you always like to visit the same page(s) when you boot the browser, eg. AskMefi. She has 3.5.1.
posted by tra at 8:01 AM on August 1, 2009

« Older How do you go about finding an...   |  Is there anyone in the Boston ... Newer »