Help me find a new laptop/notebook!
July 21, 2009 4:12 PM Subscribe
I'm looking for a new laptop to replace my Dell latitude D620
. I thought I was well equipped to make this decision, but it turns out I was wrong.
posted by Admira to Technology (10 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
The D620 has served me well for quite some time now, but the screen is flickering, colours shimmering and its (naturally) two months out of warranty.
This serves as my primary computer at home. I use it for the standard web browsing, email etc, but also I record multitrack music on it. So What I do care about:
* Price (dur)
* Processor speed (I don't have HUGE processor requirements but sometimes adding reverb, compression etc can chew up the cycles)
* Range of inputs (SD, USB, Firewire would be nice but not essential)
* Will come with a windows 7 upgrade when its available
* Reasonable hard drive in terms of speed
What I don't care too much about:
* Portability - I need to be able to carry it around from time to time but this isn't on the road with me every day
* Souped up graphics performance - I don't play games on it (other than Nethack and Crack Attack)
When I go looking, I find myself going from cheap options up to expensive options ($2,200 AUD) and then think "I don't need all that surely" and start all over again.
I'd love some recommendations. Thanks for your help!