CSS positioning problem in IE.

Why does my sidebar line up fine in Firefox but not IE?

So I'm rebuilding my theatre company's website and i can't for the life of me get the sidebar to line up right in IE. (screen shot) The side bar is contained in a div which is floated to the right in a div that contains the whole body.
Here is the CSS.
Here is the HTML for the sidebar.
And here is the main page.

Thanks.
posted by Uncle to Computers & Internet (5 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Do you have any of that up on a web server? That would make this a lot easier.
posted by odinsdream at 12:57 PM on April 28, 2009

oh right the test page is http://redinktheatre.com/test4/
posted by Uncle at 1:02 PM on April 28, 2009

Does the problem go away if you change the body's width to a pixel value instead of a percentage?
posted by odinsdream at 1:28 PM on April 28, 2009

IE has various problems with css margins, in that it has a whole different idea how margins and padding should work. Here is the most common annoying side effect. Looks like your problem.

In general, using some kind of css-reset as your first stylesheet can save you hours and hours of figuring out what the hell Explorer is smoking.
posted by rokusan at 4:39 PM on April 28, 2009

I don't think that is the problem rokusan. I played around with the margin and it doesn't seem to fix it. I guess the problem is only in IE 7 after looking at it in IE 8. Thanks for the link to CSS Newbie though.
posted by Uncle at 9:09 PM on April 28, 2009

« Older I am looking for truly undisco...   |  Attention all graphic designer... Newer »