Washington D.C. -- What to see/do and eat off the beaten path?
November 9, 2008 3:26 PM Subscribe
Foodie recommendations and off the beaten path things to see/do in the Washington, D.C. area?
posted by trixare4kids to travel & transportation around Washington, DC (39 answers total) 39 users marked this as a favorite
Yes, we are two crazy people from the San Francisco area going to DC inauguration week, 2009. We just couldn't help ourselves, especially when we got incredibly cheap airfare. I'm just so overjoyed and I really want to be able to tell my grand kids I was there. Yes, I know it will be crowded and totally nuts, but.. but.. yeah. We just had to do it.
Here are my questions:
1) Aside from the museums and monuments we all know about, what should we see or do in the area. We're not limited to D.C. -- but looking for interesting stuff the regular tourists might overlook. We are not at all interested in shopping. Pa-tooy. Basically we are open to any and all suggestions.
a) I'm big on the weird/quirky stuff as well as Americana, History, film, exploring other cultures.
b) My companion has a penchant for music, art and science.
2) Food: Are there any awesome food experiences we shouldn't miss? Bonus on the cheap and cheerful end of the scale, but plan at least one expensive dinner. I love the little hole in the wall places that have great food and/or are an interesting experience. We are open to all cuisines, except um.. sushi.
3) Drinks: We tend to favor dive bars or little out of the way places where we'd feel welcome. We care not about the "see and be seen" kinds of places.
4) Where can we find good calendars of events in the area?
5) Yeah, I called my State Rep & Senator to see about inauguration tickets, but I'm not holding my breath. Assuming we don't get inauguration tickets, where would be a good spot to be or try to be?
We arrive on the 15th and leave on the 23rd.
Staying with friends in Vienna, VA (last stop on the Metro)
We plan to take the metro when we go into DC, but will have a car so we don't have to limit ourselves to just D.C.
We also plan to do the MeFI meetup that's being set up!