Fold flat paper Sunglasses
June 21, 2008 8:29 AM   Subscribe

Where could I buy paper glasses that could act as decent sunglasses? Polarizing glasses (for 3d movies) would be close, I just need them to be darker.
posted by phrontist to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (8 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Email these guys and ask for samples.
posted by weapons-grade pandemonium at 8:37 AM on June 21, 2008

My opthamologist's office has a box of these (actually, nicer ones that look more like sunglasses and are darker) on the reception desk. They're for patients who've had their eyes dilated. Try calling a few eye doctors near you and see if you can score a few pairs.
posted by Oriole Adams at 8:55 AM on June 21, 2008

Ohhh! Oriole Adams points out something I can't believe I didn't realize... that's almost certainly the ticket. Does anyone know who supplies the medical community?
posted by phrontist at 9:01 AM on June 21, 2008

Hahaha, okay, so they're called "post mydriatic spectacles". None of them really look like the anaglyph glasses (which is the aesthetic I'm after), but admittedly have their charm.
posted by phrontist at 9:10 AM on June 21, 2008

Also note that polarizing glasses for 3d movies do NOT block ultraviolet light and should never be used as sunglasses.
posted by hexatron at 9:11 AM on June 21, 2008 [1 favorite]

Get one pair post-mydriatic spectacles, one pair anaglyph glasses, and use scissors and glue to make what you need?
posted by sebastienbailard at 10:59 AM on June 21, 2008

You might want to check with your local Lenscrafters. I had some eye test done at their optometrists involving putting some kind of drops in my eyes to check dilation or something, and they gave me a set of paper sunglasses to wear on the way home. I'm guessing they have a crate of them in back somewhere.
posted by timsteil at 11:35 AM on June 21, 2008

Would the type designed for viewing a solar eclipse be too dark? I remember glasses like these being handed out in school to view an eclipse. Alternatively, "disposable sunglasses" seem to exist and apparently fold flat.
posted by sentient at 3:07 PM on June 21, 2008

« Older If you give me frosting, I'll give you cake   |   Really need some help with a file that doesn't... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.