A comfortable & storable reading chair?
May 6, 2008 8:46 AM   Subscribe

A comfortable & storable reading chair?

I live in a small 2 bedroom apartment in Chicago. ~85% of the time it is just me and I would like to get a good chair for reading for my second bedroom (something like this). The problem is that the other 15% of the time I have guests staying with me & a chair would only get in the way.

Anyone have any solutions?
posted by cuando to Home & Garden (10 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite
 
Bean bag chair? It's quite malleable, and you can stuff it in a closet or something when you don't need it. Also possibly one of the most comfortable things ever.
posted by Grither at 8:48 AM on May 6, 2008


I can't think of a folding chair solution for you, but my favorite reading chair is the Ikea Poang. It's a lot smaller than the stuffed chair you linked to, so it might conceivably fit in your occupied guest room.

Another alternative, though I don't know how comfortable they are, would be an inflatable chair.
posted by workerant at 8:50 AM on May 6, 2008


I got a Poang myself and recommend it heartily. It does get in the way a little bit, but it's easy enough to just shove it into a corner or behind my sofa when that happens.
posted by Tomorrowful at 8:53 AM on May 6, 2008


How about a camp chair with built-in footrest? When your guests arrive, fold it up and stow it in the corner of a closet or behind a door.
posted by jamaro at 8:54 AM on May 6, 2008


These LaFuma recliners are quite comfortable. They tilt to all angles and support your full body. I know many people who have gotten them as reading chairs who have no need for a folding chair at all.
posted by OmieWise at 9:00 AM on May 6, 2008 [1 favorite]


I have a Poang, too, and recommend it. It doesn't fold, but weighs next to nothing and can be easily tossed into another room.

Camp chairs are supremely comfortable. However, if your apartment gets hot in the summer, the backs of your legs will get really sweaty. They also leave something to be desired aesthetically, but you could always make a slipcover.
posted by Metroid Baby at 9:13 AM on May 6, 2008


N'thing the Poang. I've had one for 9 years and it's still comfortable after reasonably heavy use. I find this impressive considering I weigh around 195 lbs. It's especially good for reading if you get the ottoman.
posted by mollweide at 9:25 AM on May 6, 2008


Nthing the LaFuma. I've got one in my living room.
posted by PatoPata at 10:08 AM on May 6, 2008


Nothing I've had beats the Poang. I can spend hours in that chair.
posted by MrVisible at 10:13 AM on May 6, 2008


What about something like this?
posted by salvia at 4:24 PM on May 6, 2008


« Older It's Not a Gold Record, But I Wanna Treat It Like...   |   Why is my WordPress 404.php not working? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.