Converting a logo to a font

What software do I need to convert a company logo (including design element) into a True Type Font?

Googling turns up a lot of people who want to do it for me, but I'd like to do it myself.
posted by punkfloyd to Media & Arts (6 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

You can't just paste it into a font editor (such as FontCreator (no recommendation))? I think I did something similar at a past job.. Our company logo-font only had three characters.. lowercase p, uppercase P, and i (different formats of the logo). Everything else was blank.
posted by SirStan at 6:23 AM on February 28, 2008

The reason there are more services than software is that there really are only a few editors that will do it right. Fonts are volatile little pieces of code and a trained hand and proper tools are required to create something that won't muck up your software or system.

The cheapest way to do it right is send it to a company like FontShop.

The cheapest way to do it right and by yourself is TypeTool.
posted by Typographica at 9:12 AM on February 28, 2008

If you already have CorelDraw, you have the software.

Do a Google search "CorelDraw make fonts"
posted by Marky at 9:45 AM on February 28, 2008

If the logo was created from an existing typeface, it might be easier to simply figure out what the font is. If you send me the logo, I'll take a look at it. My email is in my profile--matt at fandango dot net.
posted by fandango_matt at 10:00 AM on February 28, 2008

I kind of did it in FontCreator (trial version). Need to do some tweaks.
Thanks for the offer Matt.
posted by punkfloyd at 10:26 AM on February 28, 2008

why would you need to do this?! i think there must be a much better way you're overlooking to accomplish your end goal. what are your usage plans for the font that you want to make?
posted by white light at 10:28 AM on February 28, 2008

« Older is a 1080p projector worth it right now?   |   I like breathing formaldehyde as much as the next... Newer »