Where does he live?
January 31, 2008 9:51 AM   Subscribe

State residence issue. Asking for a co-worker.

Her son(18) is graduating high school in May and plans to attend a state university(Florida). However, that month, the parents are moving to North Carolina. Is the son a resident of Florida for in-state education benefits? My co-worker is getting information that the student's parents' residence is the student's legal residence. That makes no sense to me, is that right?
posted by Jazz Hands to Education (7 answers total)
Well, it may depend on which school, but a quick google of the right info came up with this page on FSU's site. Each school should have a similar policy explaining residency.
posted by mikeh at 10:08 AM on January 31, 2008

Establishing Florida Residency. This page is from the University of Florida, but it appears to be based on Florida law so I'd expect it to be the same at all state universities. Some possibly relevant highlights: a "dependent student" has the same residency as his parents. A student is independent only if 1) he's 24 years old, 2) married, 3) has a dependent child, or 4) provides at least 51% of his own support, so most likely the son is a dependent here and would be considered to have the same residency as his parents. Also "Permanent Florida residency is demonstrated by the absence of ties to any other state," so I'm guessing once the parents move to NC, they're no longer considered Florida residents, and he has to pay out-of-state tuition.
posted by DevilsAdvocate at 10:10 AM on January 31, 2008

IME -- if he's a dependent (see DevilsAdvocate, also do they claim him on income tax? does he use their health insurance? etc.) then he's a resident of wherever his parents are a resident. I was a California resident until I graduated from college, even though I only left Washington state to go "home" at most twice a year. I voted absentee in CA, too, and once got a jury duty summons!
posted by epersonae at 10:44 AM on January 31, 2008

If he knows specifically which state university in Florida he is attending, he should find the residency expert at that school and e-mail, call or make an appointment and explain what you just told us. If the residency person says he's in the clear, than make sure he gets that in writing.
posted by Happydaz at 10:47 AM on January 31, 2008

Delightfully, it looks like it's possible for him to be non-resident in both Florida and NC at the same time. You must live in NC for 12 months to qualify for residency status. I always suspected this might be true, but argh.

Since, in FL at least, "Permanent residence is evaluated for the domicile year associated with the initial term of entry to UF," it seems as though he'd stay a resident while enrolled as long as he could establish residency for the first term. Whether his parents would need to stay in FL until the first day of classes, or until he's accepted, is not really clear from that web page -- a call, and then an exchange of letters with the admissions office (so that there's documentation), would probably be a good idea.
posted by amtho at 10:58 AM on January 31, 2008

It seems that his parents' residence is the deciding factor, but the real question is, their residence at what point? It could be at the time of application, or at the start of the school year, or for the majority of the past year, etc.

Looks like (from Mikeh's link), he'd have to be able to swear that "I am a dependent person and my parent or legal guardian has maintained legal residence in Florida for at least 12 months." That statement by itself is a little ambiguous -- depending what it actually means, there may be hope.
posted by winston at 12:29 PM on January 31, 2008

amtho, yes, we were joking around that for a year the kid won't exist! He has applied to a few of the Florida schools, so I guess it will depend on that school's admission rule.
posted by Jazz Hands at 2:24 PM on January 31, 2008

« Older We can (or can not) build this...   |   How can an American get money to travel to Japan? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.