I need to move, when should I go?

I have been planning to move out-of-state for the last few years, and the time is getting closer, I'm almost ready to do it. I am currently on a lease for 2 more months, and I am going to the new state this week to check things out, go on some job interviews, and meet with possible roommates. But their are some problems that are making things difficult to coordinate.

I really don't want to leave here until my lease is up, since I'm in the process of selling and getting rid of all my things, and also since I don't have enough money to pay off the rest of my lease (2 months) AND moving expenses, deposits, etc. So how do I find a job and a place to live that coordinate with each other 2 months before I plan on moving? Would it be a bad idea to move without a job, if I have a couple months of living expenses saved up? I am also starting a new job next week, when I get back from my trip, that is paying me really well...but I don't want to be here anymore, I need to get out. For the past few years, I've wanted to move, yet something always keeps me from moving, usually the "I'm not ready yet/Don't have enough money/Should wait a little while longer" attitude. I

have alot of roommate prospects, so I'm not too worried about that. It's the job thing I'm worried about, yet I've always been able to find a job where I am, so what do you think...should I go when my lease is up, job or no job? Or should I stay for a couple more months after my lease is up, save up more money, and then go? If I find a suitable living situation when I go out there this week, should I make the jump? Has anyone done this and can you tell me your experiences/advice/words-of-wisdom? I currently live in suburban hell, have all my life, and I don't want to come back with my tail between my legs, yet I'm afraid I'll never leave if I don't face my fear and just go...asap.
posted by anonymous to Work & Money (8 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

Many employers ask for you to give a day when you can start. This may or may not limit your options, depending on the employer's immediate needs, but it certainly allows you the freedom to get a job lined up for you to start once you've moved in.
posted by schroedinger at 6:22 PM on January 22, 2008

I moved across the country twice without a job. It all manages to work out, you might have to take a shit job before you find a good job, but in both cases I landed on my feet making more money than I was in the old place. What is that saying? You build your wings on the way down, something like that...point is, when you make that leap, you will find the ways and means of supporting yourself. You sort of sound on the fence, though. Don't get hung up on finding the perfect job before you move or you will never move.
posted by 45moore45 at 6:26 PM on January 22, 2008

I don't know, I wouldn't do the spread your wings and fly move, just because unemployment is high right now and bound to get higher. Make sure you have your shit together first.
posted by schroedinger at 7:03 PM on January 22, 2008

If I was you, I'd go, but I'd have a contingency plan -- like, if you haven't found a job within 1 month or $X spent, then you'll move back home. Or whatever your plan might be. The point is, if you commit to it, it will work out. If you're half-arsed, it will be more likely to fail.
posted by robcorr at 7:04 PM on January 22, 2008

(... and remember, coming back with your tail between your legs is not the end of the world.)
posted by robcorr at 7:05 PM on January 22, 2008

Like 45moore I've moved like this before -- actually a half a dozen times or so -- and you sometimes just have to take the leap. Being afraid of giving up your security will keep you in your place forever.
posted by loiseau at 7:58 PM on January 22, 2008

If you can give the specific city you're moving to, maybe people could give you more advice about the job market, the economy, housing, transportation, etc. I moved from a shitty nowhere town to NYC, here is my advice:

EXAMPLE: In NYC, housing can be a pain in the ass and it can take a while to find a cheap place with no psychos. However it is always easy to find a job if you're willing to take anything, and your transportation costs are relatively low and fixed because you don't have to worry about a car. Therefore, when I moved from nowhere town to NYC without a job, I didn't have a lot of savings but I took a variety of shitty jobs which helped to keep me afloat.

NYC also has a good temp market, which helped me fill employment gaps--register with a lot of different agencies and keep in touch with all of them if this interests you. I did have to use my credit card, but I had a card with relatively low interest (8%). One time I had to get a cash advance to cover rent. Avoid this if at all possible. Once you put your rent in your bank account pretend like it doesn't exist, put groceries on your card, just make sure you have rent in the bank. DO NOT pay rent late, your roommates will hate you and now I come to the most important thing you need in a new city:

FRIENDS. Find friends as soon as possible. You might feel like a dork, but social support is the number one thing you need in a new city. If something goes wrong and you're sick and you can't get out of bed, you will need a friend. If you lose your metrocard, you will need a friend. Etc. They can give you advice about neighborhoods. You can bitch to them about your roommates. They can help you find a job. FIND FRIENDS. But avoid spending your money on booze.

Good luck, I hope this example helped.
posted by sondrialiac at 5:20 AM on January 23, 2008

I think that a lot of this might depend on where you're moving from and going to.
posted by drstein at 6:48 AM on January 24, 2008

« Older love?   |   Personal Statement Woes Newer »