How do I get an old IRS document?
July 27, 2007 11:32 AM   Subscribe

IRS document request -- my boss has asked me to somehow make a request to the IRS for a 1971 document that our company filed. It was a request for 501(c)(4) status, which was granted. But the original application to the IRS is lost, and we need it. So how do I request an old document? Can I do it on the Web? Do I contact the IRS or maybe do a Freedom of Info Act request?
posted by nancoix to Law & Government (3 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
If you submitted the document to the IRS, I would think they would be the ones to contact about getting a copy of it. It may be naive of me to think this, but I would just give them a call and see what they can tell you. I'm sure this is a pretty common type of request, at least in the vein of, "I need a copy of a document I submitted to you." You shouldn't need to file a FOIA request; I'm pretty sure those usually need to be reviewed by lawyers, and this isn't information that is being withheld from you.
posted by autojack at 11:38 AM on July 27, 2007

I called the IRS and they told me what form to fill out (4506A). I send it in and wait 30-60 days. Thanks!
posted by nancoix at 12:41 PM on July 27, 2007

I don't mean to be a downer but if you requested a document from 1971, don't hold your breath. I requested a tax return from 1991, it took 9 months for them to determine they couldn't find it.
posted by itsamonkeytree at 12:00 PM on November 7, 2007

« Older Can I export pictures from MS Word?   |   What the font? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.