Chicago Lawyers
June 22, 2007 7:27 PM   Subscribe

ChicagoFilter: Seeking lawyer recommendations for landlord/tenant law in Chicago.

Long story short, we are trying to get back the entirety of our security deposit from our last apartment back and based on the documentation we have, we have a pretty good case (we think!). We're in Chicago - do you have any recommendations for lawyers in the area?
posted by cajo to Law & Government (5 answers total)
you don't need one. small claims court is pretty easy. if your case is pretty clear cut, head to the courthouse, file a suit, and then show up with your documentation. it's actually pretty easy. i know, because i had to do the same thing a few years ago.
posted by lester at 7:37 PM on June 22, 2007

Paul Bernstein does these cases.
posted by rdn at 8:37 PM on June 22, 2007

Not to take money out of Paul Bernstein's wallet, but I suspect lester is correct. The claim is likely too small to make hiring a lawyer cost-effective. Further, I suspect in Illinois the law is likely to be tennant-friendly (but I know nothing of Illinois law; that's just a guess based on approaches similar states take). In a city the size of Chicago there may even be a special court which exclusively handles these matters.
posted by herc at 8:02 AM on June 23, 2007

Don't forget to compute interest and your rate for time spent on the claim.
posted by BrotherCaine at 8:56 AM on June 24, 2007

Jonathan Dixon, at, specializes in landlord/tenant law.
posted by CMichaelCook at 2:03 PM on June 24, 2007

« Older I need more free stolen music   |   Where to buy Double Happiness cigarettes? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.