are you on the list? I don't see your name on the list - Velvet ropes in NYC?
April 19, 2007 11:04 AM   Subscribe

Where can I buy a velvet rope in New York City?

I'm looking to purchase a velvet rope that are standard in front of clubs, restaurants, etc. Basically, where can I buy a single rope that is designed to keep out the riff raff?

Also, bonus points if the place sells red carpet.
posted by Stynxno to Shopping (4 answers total)
Probably any restaurant supply store, but I googled one to make sure I wasn't just making stuff up.
posted by amro at 11:11 AM on April 19, 2007

At a lot of 99 cent stores in NYC they sell carpet-runner off of big spools (at least they do in Greenpoint where I live). Sometimes they have red.

Also call carpet places and see if they sell remnants.

No clue about the rope though.
posted by hermitosis at 11:18 AM on April 19, 2007

The product you're looking for is called Rope (the rope, duh!) and Stanchions (the posts they hook onto). A quick google search reveals, based out in Commack. Signature Fencing, in Manhattan itself, seems to specialize in plastic-tape style rope, but they might be able to help you out: There's also Miller Skytracker and Premiere Rental Services which does the whole red carpet thing for numerous special events:

If you're planning on doing this on the street, as opposed to for some sort of party in your home, keep in mind that you may well need a permit to obstruct the sidewalk.
posted by zachlipton at 12:06 PM on April 19, 2007

Paragon is a good restaurant supply store on the Bowery. It's between Houston and Prince. Actually, there are quite a number of restaurant supply stores on that block so you should be able to find your velvet rope.
posted by digiFramph at 6:37 PM on April 19, 2007

« Older What free SMTP service could I use to send emails...   |   A question about butt hair Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.