Help me find the Hualapai Skywalk Bridge of bathroom sinks...
April 8, 2007 8:08 PM   Subscribe

RemodelingFilter: What's the name for the not-so-common style of bathroom sink in which (1) the back half of the bowl fits firmly within the vanity/countertop like a normal top-mount sink, but (2) the rounded front half of the bowl juts out several inches from the vanity, overhanging similar to the front edge of a pedestal sink?

I really, really would like to find out the designer's term for the kind of sink I'm searching for. This has been vexing me ever since I saw a white ceramic one in a Scottish flat... sadly, my Google-fu has utterly failed me this time.

This sink style has a perfect room-enhancing, affordance-creating aesthetic, an antidote to the usual boredom of bathroom vanities... there's just something remodelly-fantastic about the idea of a shallower vanity combined with a sexy rounded edge cantilevering out of the otherwise straight countertop. (Yes, I'm a little smitten. With a freaking lavatory sink.)

BTW, I am not talking about those newly-trendy "vessel sinks" that rest entirely *on top of* the counter -- I don't really care for those, thanks. Bonus points, however, if you can point me towards a manufacturer or distributor of the mystery-name sink style...
posted by skyboy to Home & Garden (3 answers total)
Farmhouse or Apron Sink? They're usually seen in kitchens, but I imagine they make them for bathrooms.
posted by Frank Grimes at 8:20 PM on April 8, 2007

Best answer: American Standard calls it a "semi-countertop" sink
posted by misterbrandt at 8:47 PM on April 8, 2007

Best answer: Thanks much, misterbrandt... your tip led me to what seems to be a more universal term, semi-recessed. I've now found several manufacturers... Awesome!
posted by skyboy at 9:48 PM on April 8, 2007

« Older Can I interview on a cell phone?   |   Songs about Europe Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.